Which countries are having free high-speed public Wifi?
In recent years, increased reliance on digital technologies has developed some level of competence with technology. So, an access to a free high-speed public Wifi has become increasingly important now.
Worldwide, every year the number of public hotspots with free WiFi are increasing exponentially. Such a free high-speed public Wifi access can be extremely useful for a country to attract international travelers and promoting its business.
Six years ago, a study released in ‘Information Technology & People’ concluded that “A free access to high-speed public Wifi helps to bridge many real life inequities in society with an impact of eliminating or minimizing the digital divide.” It supports a high-speed public Wifi that is usually centered around ‘social equality’ issue. Although digitally overall rapid progress of society is evident now, but still, the question arises here is;
‘Which countries are having free high-speed public Wi-Fi?
In December 2015 a global survey was conducted second time by UK-based tech watchdog Rotten WiFi. Worldwide they had surveyed 184 countries for the speed and quality of all high-speed public hotspots and concluded the following report:
- Among the top 20 countries, mostly were European countries, two from North America and only one was from Asia.
- An Eastern European country ‘Lithuania’ scooped the top spot and was recorded at an average of 16.1 Mbps public wifi downloading speed.
- The Second spot was secured by Estonia with an average download speed of 14.8 Mbps.
- The Third position was given to Southeast Asian Country- Singapore with an average speed of 13.1 Mbps.
- Switzerland ranked on fourth with 12.8 Mbps downloading speed.
- The Netherlands holds the fifth position with 11.9 Mbps downloading speed.
- With 11.7 Mbps Wifi downloading speed the UK landed in sixth place.
- Surprisingly, a largely developed country like Canada gained the 20th spot.
- The US with the world’s biggest online companies was dropped off top 20 list.
You can see below figure showing top 20 rankings of countries with their average downloading internet speed provided for public Wifi.
In India average downloading and uploading speed is far below with respect to above-mentioned top 20 countries. Average speed test of all metro cities has come with following results:
|City||Average Download||Average Upload|
|New Delhi||2 Mbps||1.9 Mbps|
|Delhi||2.1 Mbps||727 Kbps|
|Chennai||5.2 Mbps||3 Mbps|
|Kolkata||2 Mbps||983 Kbps|
In-spite of poor internet speed, India is still a huge market for many businesses with a rapidly growing number of smartphone users. That is why Indian government is investing a huge money to offer free in more than 2,500 cities and towns all over the country.
Recently, Google has also announced the launch of its free high-speed public WiFi service to railway commuters at over 400 stations in India ensuring high capacity and wide coverage.
Many other companies have also come forward to help people stay connected by setting up WiFi zones.
Therefore, in the years to come, we can also see India having its permanent position amongst the list of top 20 countries that provide free high-speed public Wifi services.
Are you already accessing free high-speed public Wifi hotspot in your region?