Published on October 13, 2014 • by Nishant Updated on December 9, 2023 • 9 min Read
One of the most valuable, important and high returning activities in web world is keyword research. Ranking for the right keywords is the only crux to cross the line and be a few steps ahead from the competition. The question that invariably disturbs us is what is the correct approach to choose the best keywords for the website? Choosing the right keyword requires a lot of research blended with a bit of science. The foremost thing that one needs to consider is to create a balance between number if people searching for a particular keyword and competition for that keyword. Before dwelling into the rights and wrongs of keyword selection, let’s confiscate certain misconceptions we tend to develop about keywords. “Keyword” has become more of a misnomer, since different people perceive it differently. When you’re talking about keywords, they are multi-word phrases for which your website must rank high.
When electing keywords, at first, avoid the following common errors-
Avoid targeting single-word terms: These are generally poor choice for optimizing because either they are too specialized or too difficult to rank for.
Extra long terms not focusing on what you offer
Too specialized terms that no one searches for-Jargons
Very high-competitive search terms for which you can rarely rank good
Multiple random visitors are not worth as much as one qualified lead, which is one definite truth that shouldn’t be ignored. You have to let go off the raw hits because it’s not about how much traffic you are getting, it is about how many potential customers your website has. Let us understand how to choose the best keywords for any website
Understanding the value of keyword
The balance between the number of people searching for a keyword and competition for the keyword is understood by making use of certain keyword selector tools. These tools will help discovering the search process of people is following. This will help you determine the keywords to focus on. Using Google Keyword Selection Tool is the best way to determine your keywords.
Understanding the value of long tail keywords
On a good information-rich website most of the genuine traffic comes from the keywords that extent 4+ words, which are termed as long-tail keywords. If you have a cake website, you may find it great to rank number one for the keyword “cakes”. Even if you rank high for the specific keyword it doesn’t really mean that you rank high for this keyword. This search term involves just 30% of the searches that come to your website; the other 70% are coming through long tail of this keyword “cakes”. This is because long tail keywords comprise millions of unique searches per day, in order to demand more information through search engines. Long tail keywords, thus, generate better conversions. For example, a person searching for “leather jackets” may not really buy the product but the one searching for “best price for winter leather jacket” will be a potential customer.
How to do Keyword Research for Your Website
Various search resources that give us the knowledge about the right kind of keywords are:
To start with the SEO keyword research, Google keyword planner is a perfect platform to start. It provides estimated search volume, suggests correct keywords. To determine the value of a particular keyword set the Match type and search under the local monthly searches. The keywords results are further elaborated by presenting the number of people searching the keyword and websites competing for a keyword. As said above, it is important to choose a keyword which has balanced search volume and medium competition. Choosing a keyword with high search volume and high competition would not bring much of conversions to your website. This is because it is difficult to rank for a keyword for which everyone is ranking high. Google Analytics on the other hand gives you the platform to thoroughly examine which keywords a website is ranking high. By closely examining the search keywords you can predict the shifts in demands of your visitors and act accordingly. With proper keyword research you are more likely to predict shifts in demand, produce services that people are actually seeking, ands respond well to changing market conditions. For more information on keyword research, you can reach out us HERE.
Please correct the marked field(s) below.
Thank you for Signing Up
Job Application Form
Please Fill Out the Form Below to Submit Your Job Application!