What is New and How to Migrate for Magento 2 Upgrade?
Finally, after lots of development efforts and buzz for many years release of Magento 2 has been officially announced globally.
Magento 2 is a code and core update, instead of merely a product update. To adopt current updated technologies Magento has amended its core.
What is Magento 2 upgrade?
Magento e-commerce shopping cart system was first originated by Roy Rubin and his team-mates in comparison to OS Commerce, referred as an early, open-source eCommerce system.
OS Commerce didn’t carry any framework for its plugins and extensions and it was difficult to implement design and to upgrade it easily. This was the reason, Magento originated.
Now, there are more than 255,000 e-Commerce store fronts that make use of Magento Enterprise or Community platform. It offers nearly everything as per user’s requirement. Magento 2 is feature rich, properly set-up, very stable and also run quickly.
The recent amendments in Magento 2 includes an entire overhaul of the previous Magento code base, a visual editor, new ‘containers’ for on-site handling of visual elements, a better overall performance and much more.
Why to migrate for Magento 2 upgrade?
Although, it may take some time to get a Magento 2 Beta release, but recent updates and changes to this Magento system, makes it a must have for both new and old Magento users.
Magento 2 retains all the positive aspects of its previous version and mainly focuses on modernizing the whole platform to make more user friendly CMS for its users and thereby making it more mobile friendly.
Following outstanding reasons allows the users with their current e- store to Migrate for Magento 2 upgrade:
- Optimized and improved database access for the system.
- Decreases the reliance on database look-up with a new re-indexing operation.
- Streamlines performance with code improvements.
- Advanced web and technology lot.
- Easy Customization.
- Simple outside integration.
- Improved methods of installation.
- Improved documentation and quality testing.
- Quick time to market.
- Minimizes both long term cost of maintenance and development process.
- Steadfast branding with enhanced flexibility.
- Testing Automation.
What is New for Magento 2?
Now it is more convenient and easy with ‘Visual Layout Editor’ to drag and drop text or image blocks on pages. It can proven to be a better amendment instead of handling difficult working process with in template files layers.
New Key Features:
- Some of the payment methods are removed
- The config.xml file slims down by 20%
- In addition to Magento’s ‘blocks’ also adds the ‘container’ to the layout options.
- Blocks can be contained in Containers.
- Other containers can be contained in Containers.
- As the part of the visual design editor ‘Containers’ helps to move around blocks.
- Uses themes and eliminates skins to remove the packages from the whole Magento file system.
- Helps to manage packages and design themes via the database i.e. uploading files.
- Session information and cookies handling.
- When Magento was first originated, Magento 2 migration to jQuery was not of robust as it is now like an industry standard.
- Having WSI compliance, Magento 2 relies on REST API and SOAP.
- Zend Framework 2 will be used by Magento 2 for the performance issues including translations, a cache engine, and the database access layer.
Technology Lot Comparison
Magento 2 update comes with a range of technological enhancements not available in Magento 1.x as shown:
|Magento 1.x||Magento 2.0|
|· jQuery in RWD package||· CSS3|
|· Sass/Compass||· HTML5|
|· PHP 5.5x with PHP 5.4.11 as minimum requirement|
|· MySQL 5.6|
|· PSR Compliance|
|· Magento UI Library|
|· CSS Pre-processor|
|· Full Page Caching|
|· Magento Performance Toolkit|
- Qtr 4, 2014- Developer Beta
- Qtr 1, 2015- Developer Release Candidate
- Mid-July 2015- Merchant Beta
- Qtr 4, 2015- Merchant General Availability
Prioritizing the Merchant Experience
- Represents a new approach to the admin interface
- Focused on creating a quality experience for technical users i.e. usability, desirability and accessibility.
- Comes with new look and feel such as Modern flat design, Fewer clicks, better accessibility and improved usability.
- Tablet friendly with larger click/tap targets
- Removal of hover states
- Easier to use on a wider variety of screens i.e. touchscreen laptops, surfaces, ipad and 9” Android tablets.
- Expanding Filters- Saved Views
- Inline Edit- Simplified Mass Action
- Configurable column- Sticky Column Headers
- Keyword Search- Drag and Drop Column Reordering
- Fewer Templates
- New ‘Standard’ Product Development i.e. Simple, Configurable, Virtual and Downloadable
- Configuration Creation by Attributes
- Bulk Editing by Attributes i.e. images, pricing and inventory
- Sub-process wizard.
- New form elements types
- Live field level validation
- Dynamic Capabilities
- More consistent usage throughout
- Easier to read
It is a holistic approach to improve shopper’s experience like:
- Page Load Speed
- Java Script Bundling
- Page Catching Improvements
Magento 2 Platform Capabilities
- High code Quality and Testing
- Easier Installation and upgrades
- Simplified external integrations
- Streamlined customizations
- Improved Performance and Scalability
- Modern Tech Stack
Gateways Supported By Magento 2
Before proceeding to have a successful migration for Magento 2, you should roughly plan and test it with following guidelines:
1. Current Site Review
Identify Installed extensions.
Identify if you require all these extensions in your new site. You can safely drop some old ones.
Determine your extensions in Magento 2. Also check extension with your providers to confirm whether they have been ported or not.
- Database assets you want to migrate from your extensions.
2. Plan Capacity
- It is a good time to plan your site capacity for next growth level.
- Look for the new site requirements to be designed with more modern topology or hardware with improved caching tiers and more.
3. Create and Test Magento 2
Always make sure all following before doing Migration:
Use a design and topology to set up a Magento 2 system that at least corresponds to current Magento 1 system.
It is advisable to replicate Magento 1.x database and provide redundancy in the event of unexpected issues, then use this Magento 1.x data for migration.
- On meeting with all system requirements, install Magento 2 having all modules of a given release on a system.
4. Begin migration
Check for a network access for the Data Migration Tool to connect databases of Magento 1 and Magento 2. In a firewall, open ports.
- All activities on the Admin Panel of Magento 1.x should be stopped except for order management like creating invoice, shipping and credit memos etc.
Important: Until-unless your Magento 2 store goes live, activity cannot be resumed.
- Cron jobs of all Magento 1.x must be stopped.
- Migrate websites and settings using migration tool.
- Manually copy Magento 1.x media files to Magento 2 from magento1-root/media to magento2-root/pub/media directory.
- Bulk copy data from Magento 1 to Magento 2 database using Data Migration Tool. It is important to install extensions adapted for Magento 2, if any of extensions have data to migrate. If it possesses a different structure in Magento 2 database, then use the mapping files. In case, the extensions have a dissimilar structure in Magento 2 database, use mapping files supplied with the Data Migration Tool.
- All Magento 2 indexers should be Re-indexed. Go to the Configuration Guide for more details.
- Test Magento 2 site, thoroughly.
5. Migrate Incremental Data Updates
- Incrementally capture all data updates added in Magento 1 store like customer profiles, new orders, reviews etc. and migrate for Magento 2.
- Now begin the incremental migration for continual running of all updates. It can be stopped at any time, if needed with CTRL+C.
- During the time of this migration process, testing of Magento 2 site can be done to find any issues at the early stage. The incremental migration process can be stopped with CTRL+C, in case any issue is found and again can be restarted after resolving the issue.
Important: While conducting test of Magento 2 site at the same time along with migration process, ‘Volume check warnings’ may appear because entities are created in Magento 2 that are absent in Magento 1.
6. Go with Live Magento 2 store
Get ready with new Magento 2 site updated with Magento 1.
Follow below mentioned steps to go with its normal functioning:
- Place Magento 1 system in maintenance mode and START DOWNTIME.
- Stop incremental updates by entering CTRL+C in the migration tool command window.
- Begin cron jobs of Magento 2.
- Re-index the stock indexer, in Magento 2 system. See the for more information.
- Hit pages in Magento 2 system, in advance of storefront used by customers to cache pages by using a preferred tool.
- Do Magento 2 site final verification, if any.
- Point to new production hardware by changing load balancers, DNS, etc. (END OF DOWNTIME)
- Now all activities can be resumed on Magento 2 store.
Are you ready to Migrate for Magento 2.0 Upgrade?
At TBI, we have a stellar record to successfully migrate Magento eCommerce sites to its upgraded version.
Our Magento experts can do it for you also with following three step process:
1. Initially, we update your file structure system and database to migrate for Magento 2.0.
2. Then, we work over the custom and themes extensions to make your site more unique.
3. Finally, we depute our testing experts to check and ensure proper functioning of everything on your upgraded development site.
Once your e-commerce site gets approved by our Testing Experts and you, we put your upgraded Magento site live.
At TBI, our Customer Paradigm mainly uses Magento eCommerce, WordPress, mySQL databases, and PHP programming to help various small as well as Big enterprises to build result oriented websites.
Please Reach us to fill form with your details and our Customer Paradigm will contact you soon.
You can also call us directly or write at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you like to share any of your views or suggestion related to this blog with us, then leave a reply in the comment section below: